Saturday, January 29, 2011

Which Lure Works?? #1

The question many lure anglers including me ask and yearn for indisputable answers. Sad to say even I don’t have and haven’t found an answer to that. However over the years, I have got a few lures tt were tested and proven. Let me dig back my first ever lure that got hit, the day where my perception of “where got fish want to eat plastic!” vanished to thin air. The memories I brought back from tt outing came together with a lifetime of terminal poison.
Lure Type: Surface / Popper
Brand: Storm
Model: Rattlin’ Chug Bug – Saltwater / CBS08
Colour Code: 1264
Weight: 3/8 Oz / approx. 11g
Length: 3 ¼”
Method: Steady retrieve and unknowingly did what the seasoned anglers refer to as the “pause”. Fish took the lure on the pause. Despite following the regulars’ advice on implementing steady retrieves, we did not succeed to generate a take. Maybe I was lucky as all the contributing factors were set perfectly just for me on that unforgettable day.

Tested and Proven with baby bite marks

Brief Story:   I still remember that day when I was still sceptical towards lure fishing. As usual my purpose for being there was just to spend time with my friends and just to get a hang of casting these plastic plugs. We had lured for a few hours and were close to giving up. I had already given up early and was just casting lazily, joking around and unknowingly did the “pause” on the retrieve. I was talking to my friend when the corner of my eye caught a silver flash surfacing rapidly. Before I could comprehend what I saw, my rod was already bent and reel was screeching. It was my first time handling such a wild and powerful fish what more on lure. I enjoyed the battle with moments of heart stopping acrobatics before finally vanquishing the fish, a juvenile Ms Quennie. Up till today I could never forget that awesome moment and guess I never will!


My First Fish on Lure, Ms. Quennie


Rod used was an 8ft Loomis and Franklin paired with a Ryobi Zauber 3000. Line if I am not mistaken was Fireline 15lb test. It did the job for me back then.

My 1st Set Up

No comments:

Post a Comment